The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) as issued a recall of Joey’s Jerky Chicken jerky treats due to possible contamination with Salmonella bacteria.
A total of 21 people in Merrimack and Hillsborough Counties have been identified with the same strain of the illness, but no deaths have occurred.
Joey’s Jerky is produced in New Hampshire and the manufacturer, Kritter’s Kitchen Kreations, LLC, has voluntarily recalled all of the product.
Joey’s Jerky was sold at the following six stores: America’s Pet in Hudson, Blue Seal in Bow, K9 Kaos in Dover, Osborne’s Agway in Concord, Sandy’s Pet Food Center in Concord, and The Yellow Dogs Barn in Barrington.
Through investigation and interviewing the ill people, the DHHS Bureau of Infectious
Disease Control determined that the jerky treats were implicated in spreading Salmonella. Confirmation through laboratory testing of the jerky is pending at the New Hampshire Public Health Labs.
DHHS is asking people to check if they have any of these jerky treats at home and to discard them.
Salmonella is a bacteria that can cause severe gastrointestinal disease. It can also affect other organ systems as well. Typical signs associated with Salmonella in pets include but are not limited to: vomiting, diarrhea, diarrhea with blood, lethargy, depression, weakness, loss of appetite, weight loss, fever, and abdominal pain.
Animals that don't show clinical signs can also be carriers of Salmonella and pass it to other pets and humans.
If your pet has any signs or has ingested the product mentioned above, please contact your veterinarian.
Salmonella can also affect humans and there is a risk if you or someone you know has come in contact with pet food, treats or supplements contaminated with Salmonella, this includes dry products. The elderly, children and immunocompromised individuals are most at risk.
To reduce risk of infection, people should wash their hands with hot soapy water after touching pet foods and surfaces pet foods have come in contact with.
The clinical signs are similar as in pets. If you or anyone you know is showing signs of illness after coming in contact with this product, contact your health care provider.